I went searching for something today and instinctually clicked on a reddit link. Fortunately the sub was dark for the protest anyway, but it’s crazy how ingrained in me it is to go to reddit for everything.

Unfortunately now we’re going to have to get used to clicking on those clickbait tech articles like “TOP 10 FACEBOOK ALTERNATIVES 2023” to find information, and weed out the crappy blogs.

• Faceman🇦🇺
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

apparently if I just link like this Link it does it properly. so why isnt that the default link type then?

I guess if the linked community isn’t yet federated with your instance it would just 404… teething problems!

• binwiederhier@discuss.ntfy.sh
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah it leads to an awful 404 error. The subscribing to other communities is such a pain in the neck anyways. That should be super high on the list IMHO. But I guess there are so many things that are high on the list, haha.

• Faceman🇦🇺
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

its not easy to know if there’s just a typo in the link, or you need to wait for it to synchronize with your instance to show up.

It’s worse of course when you try to talk new users into signing up on smaller servers to spread the load too.

• binwiederhier@discuss.ntfy.sh
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I am the only user on my instance, and it’s a true pain in the neck. IMHO you should be able to add other instances in the UI, and then community lists should be exchanged by these instances automatically, so that I don’t have to do the URL-copy dance every time.

• Faceman🇦🇺
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Yea, if you’re selfhosted you would want to be able to turn on a flag that auto-pulls any request you make at high priority. I assume there’s a way to force it that could be scripted, but I haven’t read the documentation.

I can understand a server with thousands of users needing to put things in a queue to be fetched and it can take some time to work itself out