• PabloDiscobar@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

No. Look at the image again, we don’t have the instance of the user.

also it’s just a comment with someone’s opinion. what is the issue exactly

It’s a motivation speech. Add a parrot and you have an “advice animals”. Have you not noticed how reddit became this repository of snapshot of Tweets and tiktioks? That’s what you want?

• thanevim@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I hear what you’re saying, and I understand why it’s generally a good idea to offer a permalink to the tweet/post/whatever.

That being said, there’s been instances (especially with regards to certain politicians on Twitter) where having the screenshot has been paramount, as the original post gets deleted.

So we’re left with a few choices as I see it:

1. Link the original post and be done with it. Risk of the original post being deleted, making your post useless.

2. Link a screenshot. You could add the link to the original post in the comments

3. Link an archive version. A great idea, but sets an expectation for the average user to have to copy the link to the post, go to the wayback machine, add a manual snapshot, then make a kbin/Lemmy/whatever post to the archived snapshot

• PabloDiscobar@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

But look at what we lose in the process of screenshooting a post:

• We cannot write an answer to the OP
        • We have no follow-up of the conversation started by the original post
        • OP cannot edit his screenshot
        • OP cannot answer our discussion
        • OP doesn’t even know that his post is discussed elsewhere
        • We have no connection with OP between our instance and his.

In short, we have lost all the advantages of the fediverse, for what? For the graphics, for the white on black background which reminds of Twitter. It’s a terrible trade.

That being said, there’s been instances (especially with regards to certain politicians on Twitter) where having the screenshot has been paramount, as the original post gets deleted.

Editing what you said is a right. You have the right to change your opinion. It’s in fact a virtue. If you see something interesting in the comment, use the symbol and edit your post, and say that you changed your mind.

Link the original post and be done with it. Risk of the original post being deleted, making your post useless.

I like it. If you think you posted by mistake, if there was a misunderstanding or if you fucked up… well, I think it’s a good idea that the fediverse allows you to make things right.

Link a screenshot. You could add the link to the original post in the comments

Forget the screenshots. It’s like using binary with git.

Just make it live, use the fediverse as it is supposed to be used and see where it leads us. We’ll see how Ernest & Co can make something based on the fediverse which makes the process way more fluent and intuitive.