• Nix@merv.news
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

We really need platforms in the open source / fedi space that allows artists to get paid. It shouldn’t be hyper focused on making momey but if we don’t have ethical spaces people can making money/careers we will keep being reliant on these services run by VCs etc.

A fediverse Patreon style software should be a huge priority imo

• squirrelOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I agree. But I prefer the Bandcamp model over the Patreon model.

Bandcamp allows musicians to provide their music with a free and pay-what-you-want option. This way all people have access to the music, regardless of their ability to pay. And the people that are able to pay can support artists with a one-time-payment.

Patreon puts a huge burden on musicians to regularly release music, imho. But that’s not how independent music works. Sometimes there will be months or even years without new releases, while the artists are on tour or in the studio.

• Nix@merv.news
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Yeah an option for both would be great. Free and pay what you want with the option of recurring donations. Would be great if it wasnt only for music like how itch has games and software and zines

• theskyisfalling@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Eugh, I hope bandcamp stays as it is, it has its issues but is miles better than any other music purchasing options that I have found.

I don’t want to have to resort to juno and I sure as hell won’t be going near beatport with their shitty have to contact support to ask nicely to download things I’ve bought for a second time bullshit.

My main storefront will probably become soulseek ultimately.

• AbstractifyBot@beehaw.orgB
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

TL;DR for the linked article

The author urges calm and support for artists in light of Bandcamp being acquired by a new owner. While no major changes have occurred yet under the new owners, their focus on marketing and licensing deals raises potential concerns about exploitation of artists. The author acknowledges concerns about platform changes but asks that the well-being of artists be prioritized over calls to jump to other platforms prematurely. No alternative currently provides the same level of support and ease of use for both artists and listeners. The author encourages supporting artists in the ways they request and finding solutions that allow artists to focus on creation over platform management.

Overall, the post calls for balancing concerns over the platform with support for the artists it currently benefits.

This comment was generated by a bot. Send comments and complaints via private message.