The Supreme Court ruled Biden’s student-loan forgiveness is illegal, meaning borrowers will resume payments without debt cancellation this year.

• BraveSirZaphod@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Re: Feinstein, my understanding of why they’ve kept he is that, with her, the Dems have a one-seat majority on the Judicial Committee. The moment she resigns, it’s an even split. Customarily, the Senate would promptly appoint a replacement and all would be well. However, that vote would be subject to the filibuster, and the Dems don’t trust McConnell to not block it. If McConnell does block a replacement, then the Judicial Committee stays split and appointing any judges becomes completely impossible.

They’d rather deal with Feinstein’s limited availability rather than take the gamble that they’d be allowed to fill a replacement. I agree that she should absolutely retire, but there are political games that have to be considered when the stakes are this high.

• nameless_prole@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Because Republicans would rather break the system than allow it to work as intended. Because they know that’s the only way they can ever have an advantage.

• DreamerOfImprobableDreams@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Exactly. And then they can point at the system they destroyed and say look, government doesn’t work! Vote for me so I can get rid of it!

It’s a vicious cycle, and it’s 100% on purpose.