Since the Sanitation Services Inc employed by the slaughterhouses got fined for this, Arkansas under Huckabee signed a law removing requirements to verify ages of anyone working under 16. Aka no one is liable if children are working in slaughterhouses and getting chemical burns.

Here’s a picture of one of the kids.

• loathesome𝕏dongeater@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

In February, the labor department fined PSSI $1.5m for employing at least 102 children ages 13 to 17 across 13 meat-packing plants in eight states. The fine amounts to $15,138 for each child, the maximum penalty under federal law.

No one went to jail. Cool country.

• bleepingblorp@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

wow… and if you watch Dominion (free documentary on YouTube) you know how dangerous those places are, and how traumatic working there would be…

Can’t say I’m too surprised, but expecting things like this and actually confronting it are two different things.

The revolution shall be without mercy.

• Comrade_Vig@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Don’t people literally get PTSD from slaughterhouses?

I guess now it’s hard for butchers to determine if the child-like screams are pigs or kids getting chemical burns lol.

spoiler

Wow what a fucked joke, shame on me

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah a lot of workers get PTSD. A lot. At least the ones who don’t get off on torturing/killing animals.

If you watch (or already watched) Dominion you’ll understand both parts of what I’m saying, both how people could get PTSD and how it is possible some people might enjoy cruelty.

For any comrades that watch it (or even its trailer) though, Content Warning: A FUCK TON OF ANIMAL CRUELTY AND DEATH BY THESE CORPORATIONS AND THEIR WORKERS IS DOCUMENTED IN UNCENSORED FOOTAGE. Highly recommend though.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

I get it. I sat through the whole thing, and by time I watched it I had already started transitioning toward veganism. Dominion made it essentially impossible to go back, since now even seeing animal byproducts makes me very uncomfortable.

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

I think I’m with you. The photos in Peter Singer’s Animal Liberation were enough for me.

• tchotchony@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m not sure if I entirely follow. So they don’t need to verify (effectively legalizing child labour), but why would that remove liability for injuries?

• Blursty@lemmygrad.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The wording could be better, it’s meant that they’re not liable for hiring kids since they can say that they didn’t know, are not responsible for knowing.

• tchotchony@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, that’s the child labour bit. But you don’t suddenly turn immune to chemical burns once you’re 16, so why would they not be liable for injuries? Even if they claim their workers to be 16, somebody still got hurt. I’m not familiar with the US legal system here, so forgive my ignorance.

• Blursty@lemmygrad.mlOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Presumably these kids are very poor and/or immigrants. Someone needs to take a case for them to be held liable.

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Liable for hiring children, I thought the OP meant.

But there is an issue with liability for injury. Securing a legal remedy requires knowing one’s rights, knowing how to express those rights, and knowing how to start the litigation process. Children are unlikely to know any of these, considering most adults don’t, either. And a state that allows child labour is unlikely to set up any mechanisms to provide that knowledge or make the litigation procedure easier to navigate. So even if the employer could technically be liable for workplace injuries, the chances of being sued successfully are slim.

• ComradeSalad@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

They feign ignorance, and because the law bends to capital in the US, they get off with a tiny tiny fine.

• F1nn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Do you have some sauce for this? Not saying you’re making it up, but I need to understand this better.

• big_spoon@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

i can hear someone saying: “those skills will be useful for them! better working on a slaughterhouse than being indoctrinated in public school!”

• Blursty@lemmygrad.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Lol no it wouldn’t. The only thing that will stop this is the moving on from capitalism. There is no world under capitalism where these people are thrown in jail, at least not for long.