Hello,

Is there anyone using tiling window manager (i3 and similar)? I get easily distracted by stacking desktop environments and I found out that the minimalist approach works best for my ability to focus on learning and doing actual work with the computer. The less on the screen, the better and I don’t mind memorizing some additional commands to get works done, if it reduces amount of information displayed at one time. It’s not even about productivity - this approach just feels better and “cleaner”, compared to bloated desktop environments like KDE.

Vimb is pretty good for that purpose (no menus, no tabs, no need for mouse usage most of the time), although it fails to load some websites and it can get buggy sometimes. Can you suggest any alternatives or ways to improve the experience with that browser?

• savoy@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve been using qutebrowser for years now at this point, and it’s never failed me. Incredibly easy to customize as well. It’s also pretty much pushed its webkit backend aside due to age in favor of webengine. Not great for diversity as webengine’s based on chromium, but you don’t get the webkit quirks at least

• Łumało [he/him]@lemmygrad.mlM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

qutebrowser is a good pick, it was my main browser for quite some time. But unfortunately many websites cried, moaned, pissed and shat all over the place when you weren’t using a chromium based browser (or firefox) so they forced you to run a backup… Now I see qute has also fallen to the chromium menace, I don’t know whether that’s for better or for worse…

Wonder if I still remember the shortcuts well.