No, I’m not talking about meta discussions like the ones in this community. I think the value and necessity of those posts is pretty apparent.

I’ve been noticing something this morning while browsing All on the instance: i am seeing are a lot of SFW celebrity posts occurring on the sever, along with a number of communities dedicated to an individual celebrity.

For example, I just saw a post to a Gillian Anderson community with a “headshot” type pic of her in a what I would call a regular dress.

What does the general community think of this type of content being posted to lemmynsfw?

My first feeling is “eh, whatever, live and let live. If you don’t like it, block the community/poster so you don’t see it.” But at the same time, I just blocked several communities and I’m still seeing more… it just seems weird to post a bunch of SFW content to an NSFW dedicated instance.

As an aside, I realize I can just browse Subscribed, but I like browsing All to discover new communities.

• Quetzacoatl@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I’d disagree with the notion that this should be purely a NSFW instance; allowing such things, yes. But disallowing everything else? Also in regards to future more extensive federation with other instances once mod tools and UI (auto mark nsfw!) improve. I’d say connected communities are always healthier than segregated ones; filtered, yes, but permeable if you want them to. If we make this a walled garden of purely strictly NSFW content, it will also be a ghetto.

And regarding seeing content you’re not interested in, you already said it: With a growing user base this is bound to happen no matter what content rules you have, so use the Subscribed view, that’s what it’s there for. Disallowing certain content so you don’t have to use the Subscribed view is filtering content at completely the wrong point.

So, bring it on! SFW meme communities about NSFW topics, SFW-looking communities with links to NSFW content, text-based role playing communities, those for meta discussion or help or just chat. It can’t all be pics of boobies, that would sell the wonderful world of sex and what’s literally “not safe for work” immensely short.