Everyone knows the tale of Brand X getting bought out by some faceless global conglomerate and going to shit, but does the opposite ever happen?

• harmonea@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

What is the difference, in your mind, between changing owners and buying out a company?

To me they’re the same thing and this is an appropriate reply for OP. Is it just a matter of scale for you? (I think we’d all like bigger examples, but this still works)

• Ringo13@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

I definitely think the original post meant things like retail stores, social media platforms, nationwide chain restaurants, etc

• oo1@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I think the term the OP used was “faceless conglomorate”.

I heard Matt Stone’s face was ripped off by Scuzzlebutt, and Trey Parker was conglomerated into a dawson’s creek trapper keeper, so seems like a fair answer to me.

• harmonea@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Sure, but that was just additional context for my question, which was what this poster feels is the difference between changing owners and buying out a company.

• Ringo13@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

They’re thinking of changing owners vs buying a corporate company with a CEO. Yeah they’re similar lol but not really what the post is asking for on here

• SkepticalButOpenMinded@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

The context provided in the question is of big companies buying smaller companies and ruining them. OP asked if “the opposite ever happens”, which I interpret to mean a big corporation buying a smaller company and it NOT going to shit.

Sure we can talk about any change in ownership whatsoever, but that seems like a complete change in topic with an obvious answer.

• squiblet@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

The two combined have about 1.2 billion, which is surely more than the old owners of Casa Bonita.