What would happen if instead of users swarming existing servers when a fediverse service was put in the spotlight, each user spun up their own micro-instance and tried to federate with existing servers?

There’s always the odd person who decides to host a personal fediverse service in their homelab for themselves, but would the fediverse work if that was actually the primary mode of interaction? Or would it fail in a similar way to now where the servers which receive the most federation requests need to scale up?

Presumably the failure modes for federation are easier to scale than browser requests since it’s an async process.

• learning2Draw@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Sure I’m not saying they won’t I’m saying there’s not that many people who ‘want’ to beyond the effort of clicking install

• manitcor@lemmy.intai.tech
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

my point is mainly that we are that close already. The ansible setup already boils it down to the bare minimum. its down to platform testing and building an installer.

• Lucien@beehaw.orgOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Next step is to spin up a cloud service which does all that for you, leaving you to just input a credit card and configure DNS correctly.