Another nail in the coffin for the “modern” internet

• Disa@burggit.moe
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ll be interested to see the ways ad blockers and similar tech try to get around this. I’ll also have to think harder about archiving videos I like, instead of just assuming I have access to them, I do this with most things, but videos are not one of them.

• Burger@burggit.moeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah and who would want to archive videos? They take up so much space. Especially if you’re wanting to archive stuff like stream vods, etc. I just hope Piped and Newpipe can stay under Goolag’s radar, but I’m sure by now they’re well aware of them. They’re definitely aware of Invidious after they sent that legal threat to them.

• Disa@burggit.moe
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m sure more frontends will come out to get around the garbage, it’s just a matter of when. The cat and mouse game continues. Might need to start archiving videos in the meantime though.

• soulnull@burggit.moe
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I know it’s not ideal and space is certainly an issue, but yt-dlp can download playlists… so effectively what you can do to make it easier is to just dump everything you want to keep in a playlist, and you can even automate it so yt-dlp runs every 6 hours or whatever to get anything you’ve added to your list. At least for stuff you deem important, it’s at least something.

I’m actually surprised there isn’t an extension to “cache” any videos watched… stage6 (rip) used to just inherently save everything you watched. It’s been over 15 years and I still miss that damn site ;_; we’ve certainly gone in the very wrong direction since then

Meanwhile I’m about to buy ~50tb of local storage because YouTube is finally pulling the plug on the grandfathered gsuite “as much storage as you need” plan and I’ve got 30tb of shit to move, so I certainly feel your pain. At least my old mining rig motherboards will finally have something to do again… 16 1x pcie slots can support 64 harddrives, so I should be good for a bit.

• Pink Bow@burggit.moe
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I wonder if staying logged out while watching would be enough. I know they do all that fingerprinting.

• livixPmfOQRj@burggit.moe
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It sure as hell isn’t free. Look into trackers and data brokers. Both Facebook and Google profit off you even it you don’t have any accounts.

• doughno@burggit.moe
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It is free as in beer, but I have no desire to argue about trackers in this thread, since it is not the point. The comment I replied to seems to have claimed that adblocker detection is evil.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

It’s entirely the point. People’s data is monetized.

I’ll pay money to companies that provide good services.

As for google, why should I pay them for something when they’re already stealing out of my pocket?

• barge@burggit.moe
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

A fine place for a first comment: they gotta pay for the videos somehow and hardly anyone will pay for premium.

The fact that no one who knows about ad-blockers will realistically turn it off for youtube kinda drives them into a corner right?

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Alphabet’s profit increased 36 percent, to $20.64 billion, in the fourth quarter.

I think they’re doing alright for themselves. There’s no way this profit all comes from YouTube.

If YouTube premium came with privacy guarantees I would definitely pay for it. Sadly with YouTube premium you’re being taken advantage for both your data and your money. If they picked one over the other I would definitely pick the paid one over them selling my personal data.

• barge@burggit.moe
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

There’s no way this profit all comes from YouTube

Personally, I doubt YouTube bring in any net profit. In fact, I think wendover just did a video about how expensive/hard it was getting Nebula up an running that that is at a fraction of the scale of YouTube.

Look, its hard defending Alphabet here, but things will enshittify if they don’t have a clear and sustainable funding stream.

Even these Fediverse instances leave me with the question of how will they be paid for. Donations won’t scale and any sort of monetization is…resisted.

• MomoNeedsCorrection@burggit.moe
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The fact that no one who knows about ad-blockers will realistically turn it off for youtube kinda drives them into a corner right?

Maybe they should address the core reasons that everyone who is aware uses ad blockers.

• barge@burggit.moe
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The core being that ads suck: i don’t think this one is solvable.

Everyone says they are okay with “reasonable” ads, but I have been alive long enough to know that just isn’t true as one mans reasonable is another’s objectionable.

Besides, adblockers are needed all over the internet so if I have in there anyways, why would take extra steps to diminish the youtube experience for myself?

• shani66@burggit.moe
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Not at all, Google is still a borderline monopoly in the ad industry, they make the rules. They could easily force a sustainable environment onto the industry instead.