(joke in the title stolen from a redditor)

Context: some Rust kid vandalized cppreference.com today.

• darcy@sh.itjust.works
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

its like python or lua but worse syntax and slower. we are not in the 90s anymore, i cant see any reason to use it unless working with a code base or library that already requires it. weakly typed interpreted languages are, imo, only good for certain applications, such as scripting or for beginners. why use ruby when lua or even python exist? i used to like ruby, btw, im not just a hater

• DreamButt@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Are you trying to imply that python is both fast and strongly typed? As for the syntax that’s largely a matter of opinion. Most ruby-enjoyers I know specifically call out the syntax as something they like

Also I’m not qualified to comment on Lua so I won’t. Most of my language exploration has been with languages many people famously hate (perl and lisp)

All of that is to say I generally don’t think talking about what language is “best” is really a productive conversation. I was mostly curious if you had an intimate understanding of the tradeoffs or otherwise a strong opinion about how it was constructed