• BruceTwarzen@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I cannot for the life of me understand why people would live in a country where this is allowed just because a bunch of congressmen need a new yacht or child slave or whatever they do with their money

• ShittyRedditWasBetter@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Because the top half live quite well. At least competitive with every country in Europe and gets better and better once you start pulling in 125k+.

• krellor@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

The US median income is $31k/year, so anyone who makes more than that is in the top half you describe. At exactly what income level do you suggest unsafe vehicles is no longer a concern? Because I guarantee the senators and Congress reps are driving the same cars everyone else is with a few exceptions.

• ShittyRedditWasBetter@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

First off, auto issues and recalls are a dime a dozen in the EU as well. Often for things like airbags which is far more likely to hurt you. Second, around 75k a year was when I felt personally comfortable buying a nicer car but ymmv.

• krellor@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Well, the person I was replying to said that people allow unsafe cars because the top half live quite well. My point is that the top half includes many people who are financially struggling, and even people doing ok drive the same cars so of course they wouldn’t want them to be unsafe.

I appreciate the note on the EU though. I imagine most places have similar difficulties in managing auto safety