Will they go the way of MySpace or will this truly blow over in a few week?

• ewan
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’ll survive this because a lot of Reddit users don’t directly use this party apps or the API and genuinely don’t understand the problem.

What might kill it is if the quality of subs degrade because moderators can’t manage them any more.

That’s probably not a problem for really small subs (easy to ignore the noise, not particular attractive to spammers), but could cripple big ones.

But it won’t be a quick death as everyone leaves in protest, because they won’t.

• I_Miss_Daniel@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think the rise in trolling and negative commenting without moderation is starting to show. With Rif scheduled to die, I’ve been spending a bit of time there and the bullying type comments seem to be worse than I remember.

I don’t think it will die too much as the content is still coming in by the looks of it, but it’s probably going to turn into a sea of YouTube comments.

• RemembertheApollo@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The negativity over the protest really came to the forefront in most of the subs. A lot of the subs that still have echoes of the protest like /pics still get a lot of blowback over it. People simultaneously denigrate reddit (why tf do you care about a social media site?!) and yet get bitterly angry when people care about it enough to change things.