You can totally use emojis as passwords. You can probably even make this a policy at your company.

Edit: I thought this was an obvious enough joke, but just to clear things up: Only do this if you hate your company and everyone working there.

• Dandroid@dandroid.app
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

You can add emojis to your wifi SSID. I do not recommend it for compatibility reasons, though. Your printer might not like it.

• Madis@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

In my experience, several devices don’t display the emoji as a correct icon (instead show the rectangle “tofu”), but they still work with it.

Source: am using an emoji with some normal characters on SSID

• Dandroid@dandroid.app
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

That’s good! That’s best case scenario, honestly. With how awful printers are, I wouldn’t be surprised if some just crashed.

• superkret@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

That’ll make setting up your wifi from the command line all kinds of fun.
      Even my SSID with , and : in it stumps the Debian installer.

• voxel@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

just plug the printer into your router or something like raspberry pi (or a pc that’s running constantly) with a usb cable if you need that

• nikoof@feddit.ro
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Internet access? Never. LAN access though is a different story altogether…

• Dandroid@dandroid.app
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

It is very useful for your printer to have LAN access so you can print jobs wirelessly from your laptop.

But printer was just an example of a low-tech device. It could have easily been your Nintendo 3DS that might implode if your SSID had an emoji in it.