• sronweb@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

In my desktop at home the main OS is Ubuntu, basically since more than 15 years, but I own also 2 Chromebooks laptops. I have a Lenovo Duet which i use mainly because I can run both Android and Linux apps, and it allow me to watch streaming services in offline. I would prefer to use any “gnu-linux” distro on a portable device, but if you wish to watch Amazon Prime or Netflix offline, you can only use a tablet with Android or iOs but on linux pc you are limited on web app typically, except in Chromebook which has some extra flexibility. Also I don’t find invasive so far, more or less we have the same privacy settings as in Android. As benefit it’s supported for 10 years for OS updates. And, in the future I may also decide to install a pure linux distro if I need.

• Pantherina@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Its called torrenting my friend. Real control, real offline, no proprietary DRM bullshit

• sronweb@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

I have used years ago different download platforms, years before Torrent, in the time of Napster, Emule etc. but so far the official streaming service provide a good offer, without wasting time. I don’t think it worst the effort to download illegally ie comparing with price of Prime. I see now a tendency when the platform cost will increase and users should, in theory have 10 platforms, where i may understand the reason for people returning to illegal download. The streaming service companies should think carefully before increasing the price or creating new rules to share the cost.

• erwan@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Sure, they provide a good offer but force you to use a Chromebook instead of a regular Linux distro… Sounds like a big constraint to me.

• sronweb@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

I understand. In this case we should blame the streaming companies about it and if I need this function I have not much choice apart illegal download.

• sronweb@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Thanks. It’s interesting but I’m traveling a lot for business, and I need offline content. That’s one of reasons to use Chromebook for me .