• eluvatar@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Does anyone use Adobe apart from schools? Yes, because the students who used it at school went to work and wanted to use it there.

• Euphoma@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Some adobe products are way ahead of the competition (patenting useful stuff) and they integrate nicely with each other. I don’t use them out of principle but that’s why people use them.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

So sad and unfortunate that we’re indoctrinating children to be spied on.

• tony@lemmy.hoyle.me.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I love my chromebook, 90% of the time when I’m lazing around nothing I need uses more than a browser, although it also runs a debian variant and can run android apps, which is useful occasionally. It’s light, doesn’t get remotely hot, has no fan noise and the battery lasts ages.

My mother has one because she doesn’t need the complexity of windows breaking everything… she only needs gmail and facebook.

• float@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

My girlfriend bought a really cheap one from Lenovo. Besides watching movies and browsing the web there’s not much you can do because ChromeOS is extremely limiting. Wouldn’t ever recommend anyone to buy anything with ChromeOS on it.

• The Quuuuuill@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

My parents, for whom the internet is the only worthwhile thing a computer can be used for, love their Chromebook

• Fonzie!@ttrpg.network
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            9 months ago

They’d probably love a Linux system not by Google just as much.

You could try Mint, it’s pretty friendly in my experience, the GUI installer (with the full apt and flathub repos) helps, and Mint can support auto updates which will help the non-tech savvy a lot!

• The Quuuuuill@slrpnk.net
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

You over estimate how tech savvy my folks are. Dad doesn’t even know how to fully shut down the computer

• Fonzie!@ttrpg.network
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

“The button on the computer that also turns it on”

Also, this is exactly why the OS should auto update for people like them, rather than them having to use the updater and fill in their password and whatnot

• squiblet@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Yep, my parents have a few. Way easier than dealing with them installing windows malware constantly or having to maintain Linux for them.

• float@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Just keep in mind that after update support ends, it’s a ticking time bomb. And there’s basically no “second life” for it because it’s so locked down.

• frostycakes@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I mean, it was for on campus use, but I bought one in college to have a cheap note taker and basic homework machine for on campus that wouldn’t set me back too far if it got stolen or broken. I had a gaming desktop at home and was in a non-technical major, so it worked out great.

• raven [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I had a tiny Dell Chromebook 11 through college running arch. It had a 10/10 keyboard and a decent IPS display, paired with an efficient bitmap font it was perfect for my needs. I should grab one off eBay, it looks like they’re only $40 or so now.

• danielton@lemmy.frozeninferno.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

That is cheap, but if you go to Google’s own page about Chromebooks, the options you see there are all in regular laptop pricing territory. Does anyone actually buy Pixelbooks or gaming Chromebooks?

• zwekihoyy@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

yes but no. the pixelbook was by far and away the nicest build quality of any laptop I’ve owned, and the Linux containers has basically made it a normal laptop other than requiring chrome. with that said, I bought it second hand for ~$200 would never have even considered it for its original $1000 or whatever it listed at.

ChromeOS is also the most secure desktop focused os you can get so I usually use it for banking and stuff like that.