The chief justice doesn’t like his conservative Supreme Court colleagues getting called out for judicial overreach.

• sethadam1@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Why do you think they would’ve filled her spot when they didn’t fill the other one with Merrick Garland? She protected her spot or they would’ve held it up until Trump.

• FaceDeer@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

She could have retired at any time, including right after Obama was elected. The Republicans couldn’t have held the spot open for years. It would have become a major election issue.

• Johnvanjim@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’d bet good money McConnell would have tried to find a way/reason to keep it open, look at all the rules making/breaking they did to fill/keep a seat empty close to elections, I’m sure they’d just come up with some other bullshit

• Silverseren@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’m sure he would have tried, but we’re dealing with massive hypotheticals at this point. Under your argument, we should not have a justice at any point ever step down because McConnell would try to block a nomination. Yes, he would try. Doesn’t change the fact that the best move was for her to step down at the beginning of the term.

We should honestly be pushing for justices getting on in years and having health issues to step down at the beginning of presidential terms regardless.