• Pantherina@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I am wondering if this really makes the system tailor your hardware better, with all its potential. Has anyone done measurements?

• seaQueue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

If you want a system wide performance boost you need to rebuild everything rather than just the kernel. You’ll typically see a 10-15% performance boost by building everything for a more modern target like x86-64-v3 (Skylake era) over x86-64. Again, that’s rebuilding the entire OS - all packages - not just the kernel. I think phoronix has some benchmark numbers on this from a couple of years ago if you want to dig into it. On Arch there’s an unofficial repo that builds everything for the -v3 target and people seem to have good results. I think RHEL and/or Fedora were considering moving the entire distro to v2 or v3 but I haven’t paid attention to how that turned out.

Edit: here’s the arch user effort for -v3, it looks like all of the harting.dev links are dead: https://somegit.dev/ALHP/ALHP.GO

• furzegulo1312@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

cachyos is an arch-based distro, which has a large repository for v3-compiled binaries and soon they’ll have also repo for v4. kernels are already compiled for v3 and v4. it’s also by far my favorite distro at the moment.

• seaQueue@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Anything 1xxx series or later for sure. I’m not sure what the lower bound is.

What does /usr/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 --help say on the system you’re wondering about?

-v2 is just about everything after 2011ish, if it was made more recently than 2016 -v3 almost certainly is supported.