Isn’t it ironic? Even lemmy.ml is still chugging along slowly, meanwhile reddit fell on its face…

• Milez_W@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I tried opening a new account called spezzedout to exclusively troll subreddits with no moderation after the blackout but I accidentally decided to check out a sub I was banned from and Spezzedout was permanently suspended and recieved 3 days suspension on my primary. Thank goodness, my primary has 14.4K and it’d be a shame to lose that much (Not like it is gonna matter after the blackout)

• KoboldCoterie@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The damage was done… there’s a ton of news stories about the outage, all covering the blackout protest.

There was some speculation in other communities that it was an intentional move on Reddit’s part either to try to hide the protest (so they can say the drop in user activity was due to the outage instead), or that they were using the time to do something to counter the protest, but if that’s the case, the news coverage is increasing the reach of the protest beyond what it might otherwise have had.

• radostin04@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Honestly, trying to hide the protest by taking even more of the platform down is stupid. I really hope that this stuff leads to Reddit’s user numbers dropping permanentally, but I doubt it as it seems like most subreddit only closed for 2 days.

• KoboldCoterie@pawb.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

I believe the intention is that the 2-day protest is a warning shot, and on 6/30 when the API changes take effect, the plan is for some / most of these subs to close permanently, if the decision goes through.