I believe that self-hosting will take some of the load off of the wefwef server. That will be a win-win for everyone. At the same time, I understand that wefwef is still so very new that it might not be mature enough to let loose on other people’s servers.

I am looking for instructions on how to self-host wefwef, ideally as a docker container, ideally using a ready-to-use docker-compose.yml file.

• kobra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

To clarify a couple of things, and hopefully help anyone else doing this on macOS:

Start by installing Docker desktop

Open Terminal and type in:

docker pull ghcr.io/aeharding/wefwef:latest

Then, you want to use a Docker run command like this to get things started. In this example, I put my local IP in as “192.168.1.2” but you’ll need to adjust that value to whatever your machine’s IP is.

docker run --rm -d -p 192.168.1.2:5314:5314 -e "CUSTOM_LEMMY_SERVERS=lemmy.world,sh.itjust.works,lemmy.ml" ghcr.io/aeharding/wefwef:latest

At that point, I went to my iPhone, opened Safari and went to 192.168.1.2:5314 and boom, there’s wefwef. Install this as PWA and name it (local) or something and you’re good to go.