I believe that self-hosting will take some of the load off of the wefwef server. That will be a win-win for everyone. At the same time, I understand that wefwef is still so very new that it might not be mature enough to let loose on other people’s servers.

I am looking for instructions on how to self-host wefwef, ideally as a docker container, ideally using a ready-to-use docker-compose.yml file.

• CriticalMiss@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

PWAs are basically caching the assets on your phone. The code is kept on your phone but for any web requests you still phone home until CORS is properly implemented on Lemmy’s side. Hard to say about your login information, because that depends on if the code was modified before the instance was put up. If you compile from source, then no, no information is collected. However, as of now wefwef is the one that’s sending your password to the lemmy instance for authentication. You can easily spin up a wefwef container, whether you grant permissions for others to use it is based on your firewall rules as by default wefwef is open for anyone to use. But, you can restrict ports 80 and 443 to only work with your IP if it’s static or set up a VPN. My instance is open but I don’t advertise it anywhere as I’m not sure it’s ready to carry the load, so just my friends use it.