see linked post. I believe this would count as one of the examples given in the federation policy https://lemm.ee/post/401063 :

An instance which is knowingly spreading CSAM into the federated network

• imaqtpie@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

There is no “they”. Every server has the ability to tailor its own federation list, fediseer simply spreads out the labor of actually poring through hundreds of different websites by providing a centralized repository of information. We can take that information and use it however we want.

I’m sure we at least agree that CSAM is completely unacceptable, right? So there are some servers that need to be defederated and censured. The only question is how many, and what other problematic behaviors also qualify, and the answer will be slightly different for each server.

Does that alleviate your concerns?

• CookieJarObserver@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Im just annoyed by the default instances on your website and their very common use of “bigotry” as reason to defederate, i don’t actually care about what other instances do as long as Shitjustworks holds up to its name.

• imaqtpie@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

Ok, fair enough. It’s not my website, it was created by db0 and rikudou. Many thanks to those two for doing important work for Lemmy 🫡

• Shepy@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’m not 100% sure on how Lemmy works with federation, but isnt there a risk of illegal content being mirrored to your instance if someone here hits a post from the bad server too ?

• Aiastarei@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Medias are only hosted by the instance from which the poster is, specifically for this reason. So if someone spreads CSAM on another instance into yours, the only mirrored content is textual but not the offending material

• Norgur@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Oh wow. Those folks are off the rails… read some discussions over there to see what it’s all about… oooooh boy!

• XbSuper@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Probably took it down temporarily. Those types of instances don’t like being exposed.

• Kualk@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

This creates a question. Not this specific content, but on the political side of the content. It may be illegal in US, but legal in Russia and vice versa.

How does fediverse address this?

• HumanBehaviorByBjork [any, undecided]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

it varies by jurisdiction, but a server hosted in the US would be obligated to avoid serving illegal content whether it was sent from another server, uploaded by the server owner, or posted by a user of the site, which I believe creates an obligation to defed from CP instances.

• Helmic [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Not relying on legalistic justifications, for one. Legality is a constraint of whoever the host would be arrested by. It’s not a substitute for having your own standards. You shouldn’t need a legal justification to ban pedos or nazis, no matter where you live. We can’t stop them from making their own online spaces, but we are not obligated to share our spaces with them.

• ezchili@iusearchlinux.fyi
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Do you have an example of CSAM being posted there?

Just mentioning paraphilias in the description is a bit light, especially with the rest of it being pretty tame and inclusive…

They could probably be talking about legal paraphilias like cars and tentacle monsters

Edit: ah nevermind they host a lot of kid stuff