r/Piracy on Reddit is more of a meme subreddit. I’ve never seen any actual discussion or valuable information as I do on this community. Why is that?

• Paradox@lemdro.id
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

A lot of reddit subs push the shit too. Look at any text-based story subreddit. They all inevitably get a “don’t question the facts of the story” rule, which then invites charlatans to start lying.

TalesFromTechSupport and IDontWorkHereLady are probably the two best examples. They went from “I was asked to fix a guy’s computer and he was using the CD tray as a cup holder” or “A woman came up to me at target and asked where the corn was and I said I dont work here and she got embarassed” to just utter made up farces and bullshit

• Cranksta@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I always thought the “Take everything as truth or in good faith” was more about the fact that it’s really difficult to truly figure out if something is fake or not and if you start enabling people to declare stories fake, then you risk ostracizing the OP and people that are thinking of posting similar stories.

As well as it helps prevent needless discussion over the text. It just seemed more sensible to make the decision to wash your hands of it and not think too deeply about it than let the comments go wild arguing with each other over the story.

• Paradox@lemdro.id
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah but then you wind up with stories where the antagonist is comically evil; a mustache twirling bad guy right out of vaudeville. And don’t forget, “everybody clapped”