Having read and watched about flat-bottom and conical pourovers thanks to a previous post, I thought of two things: What about the common electric drip machine, and also will there be any difference with local coffee, since I’ve only used the drip machine exclusively with that?

The common coffee in my area is very different from what most experience here: It’s a very dark roast of Robusta caramalised with sugar. I was thinking a conical pourover won’t change it much, would it?

Turns out the answer is yes, it does. I understand what “clarity” means now, I definitely felt the difference. The downside is the acidity that people were referencing about with conical filters also came out, and it’s not exactly a flavour I enjoy. Thanks to everyone whose previous comments made me try this little experiment. I’m now looking to the next step and get a flat bottom brewer!

• kukkurovaca@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Nice! I’ve been trying a flat bottom brewer recently, and compared to my conical ones, I do so far feel like the flat pushes the acidity a bit less and brings out more subtle floral flavors a little bit.

It seems like the Timemore B75 is one of the best value flat bottom options by the way, if it’s available in your area.

• HidingCat@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Ooo, thanks for the reccommendation, yes, the B75 is available, and not for a lot of money too! The paper filters do cost a bit more at first glance, but I’m sure I’ll find alternative sources.

• Slice@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My local roaster has enough variety in their line that I’ve found beans I strongly prefer as drip and others that I strongly prefer as pour over. My neighbor likes completely different beans than I do and likes to make espresso.

My point is, the combination of bean, method, and preference creates totally different results.

It’s super fun to buy a new bean and try it multiple ways. I’m not experienced enough to predict the outcome yet, but I’m curious if a pattern will eventually emerge

• HidingCat@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You know, that’s a really good point; I personally prefer the darker roasts and less fruity coffees, so there’s definitely going to be some differences to others in how I’d like my coffee done. The experimentation is part of the fun!

I think I’ll be trying that flat bottom next; see if I can get the best of both worlds with the more full-bodied flavours I’m getting with drip with the more expressive flavours I’m getting from pourovers.