Apple Vision Pro launched at WWDC over a week ago and they showed a lot of clips of normal people wearing it doing (relatively) normal things, like cooking, watching movies, even working at the office.

One clip that really intrigued me was the one where a father was recording his kids in 3D through his Vision Pro. To me, this seemed off at first since to other people, it may not look like you’re present in the moment. But after thinking about it for a while, isn’t it the same as just wearing sunglasses, if not better? Sunglasses block your eyes, but Vision Pro would show your eyes to the outside world.

So I guess the question is, will Apple Vision Pro and subsequent products become widely socially acceptable one day?

• GrindingGears@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

VR hasn’t caught on as much as I thought it would. Using VR/Augmented reality is a hard thing to do for a long period of time. I get really motion sick from my PSVR after about 20 minutes. I know the tech has come a long way since then, but there’s some pretty significant hurdles to overcome between here and mass adoption. That’s even ignoring the buy in factor, which is a non-starter north of say $1k (maybe $1,500 if it’s more like an actual standalone computer).

• femboy_link.mp4@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

There’s also the space requirement which isn’t really talked about enough. To enjoy the experience without being worried about bumping into stuff and destroying your house you do really need a decent amount of space that many people just don’t have.

• GrindingGears@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

When PSVR came out, we had a teeny tiny condo at the time, and I think it took me an hour before I had put my fist through the light in our living room.

• bdonvr@lemmy.rogers-net.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That’s what I thought was so cool about Apple Vision. No controllers, UI is navigated by eye tracking…

And more focus on non-gaming tasks that should be much more small space freindly.

• manitcor@lemmy.intai.tech
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

once you move to a wearable device you immediately cut your userbase by everyone that has some kind of problem with wearing the set. its also not as viable for the long session usecases. even though they demonstrate it with people doing general computing its gong to come with a warning to not use it for more than 20 mins at a time and warn of neck strain.

While you can give yourself bad posture with a traditional setup your computer is not on your head helping make the problem worse.