Apple Vision Pro launched at WWDC over a week ago and they showed a lot of clips of normal people wearing it doing (relatively) normal things, like cooking, watching movies, even working at the office.

One clip that really intrigued me was the one where a father was recording his kids in 3D through his Vision Pro. To me, this seemed off at first since to other people, it may not look like you’re present in the moment. But after thinking about it for a while, isn’t it the same as just wearing sunglasses, if not better? Sunglasses block your eyes, but Vision Pro would show your eyes to the outside world.

So I guess the question is, will Apple Vision Pro and subsequent products become widely socially acceptable one day?

• kryllic@vlemmy.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Yes but not for headsets, I think we’ll see more adoption for driving, where the windshield and side windows have a secondary layer overlayed on the glass so that navigation and other hud elements can be thrown up there, while maintaining high visibility. It’ll probably double as decent tinting as well. Idk tho lol

• Orygin@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

If I see someone driving while wearing these, I’m calling the cops 😂 But you’re not far off as Apple is doing R&D for cars with VR integrated

• BreakNeckJim@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s interesting and I never really thought about that before. I guess the only problem would be displaying the VR and AR elements so that they remain stationary relative to the person driving the car.

• kryllic@vlemmy.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I was thinking they’d just put a film over the actual window so a user doesn’t have to wear a headset, it would just be integrated into the actual car (Apple car?)