I was born and raised in America, and for some reason I have this classic notion in my head that people should be dancing at weddings.

However, now that many of my friends from earlier in life and college are getting married, when I go to those weddings, the dance, if they even have one, is on a tiny dance floor, maybe even just a small part of their reception hall that they scooted the chairs and tables out away from.

And it turns out, many people simply don’t know how to dance. Sure, not everyone is a competitive ballroom dancer, but even my non-dancer friends in college would still go to swing dancing night and mess around on the dance floor.

Now, however, people just stand on the dance floor and sway or shuffle. I am loth to even call it dancing. It just seems like people are uncomfortable and not really having fun.

What happened? Did people stop dancing?

PS: Please check out the dance community for more dance related content. I just created it and would greatly appreciate some help with getting it off the ground!

Edit: “am loathe” -> “am loth”. STT is a b.

• huskola@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

A bit unrelated. I was a bit drunk in Kmart one night around Christmas. I tried on an elf hat that played music and started dancing. My wife thought it was funny and took a video with her phone. Well… she posts it on Facebook and it is seen by some people I rather would not like to see it. Lesson learned. Never do anything in public that you don’t want everyone to see.