Question 1:

I want to copy a file to clipboard, how can I do this using cli? I have this file “home/$USER/example.svg” and I want to copy it to clipboard without manually doing it. I tried to ask ChatGPT to help me with it, it didn’t :(

I am pretty sure there is a copy to clipboard option in Thunar and Nemo file managers but I don’t know how to use it. My google searches have been so far fruitless. Please help me copy it?

Use Case: I want to copy it and paste it to Obsidian.md file. Obsidian is a text manager which supports Mathjax but not Latex, so in order to get a semblance of greater Latex support, I want to convert tex to svg and copy it from the folder to clipboard (without opening the folder) and then paste it.

Question 2: Do you have a anonymous file sharing service you use to share videos and images? If so, what is it? imgur helps with images and videos lower than 1 mins, but above that, it won’t accept uploads.

Also, bashify.io and emalm.com seems to be ok ok in this regard. The problem is, I don’t know enough about them to trust them. mehh…

Use case: If I have a problem with my system, I want to share the video of the problem I am facing to Linux forums and I want it to be instantly accessible

Question 3: Is it ok to move random file script you find on the internet into a root folder which is included in your $PATH variable?

https://github.com/tremby/imgur.sh

I was trying to use this script and it is my understanding that if you have a script in a folder included in your path variable, then you don’t have to actually specify the path to run it. You can just give it’s name and press enter to execute it.

am I right so far and should I move that script into my path variable folder? What are the risks?

• federalreverse-old@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago
    1. I think file managers just put a file name into the clipboard, not the actual file. It’s also worth noting that the clipboard is a concept of X11/Wayland. There may be CLI tooling, but it will only work as long as there’s a graphical environment running. I any case, have you tried putting a file reference, i.e. ![](/path/to/file.svg), into your .md file? I don’t think you can put an SVG directly into Markdown anyway (I may be wrong on that).

2. People seem to use https://catbox.moe/

3. I’d edit PATH rather than moving a random script to root. The convention is to put a directory ~/bin into your home and add that to PATH.

• federalreverse-old@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

This is the first time I am hearing of it, so far I was only aware of .local/share. Conventions being what they are, there may be multiple. :) However, I find it impractical to use a hidden directory for the purpose.

• Ganesh Venugopal@lemmy.mlOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

/.local/bin already exists. I am pretty sure it was created by some other application. So, that’s it, I can add it there and give it execution privileges (isn’t that what Stalin had ;)

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I any case, have you tried putting a file reference, i.e. , into your .md file? I don’t think you can put an SVG directly into Markdown anyway (I may be wrong on that).

Thank you very much! this is what I did and it works.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Just go into settings > community plugins and search for LaTeX. I can’t make specific recommendations since I don’t use LaTeX, but I saw there were a few.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I installed some plugins right now, let’s see how they work, but for now, svg works like magic for me. I didn’t know you could do this using community plugins so thank you for letting me know.

• smiletolerantly@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Regarding 2: I don’t think I’ve ever seen this, in what situation would you rather share a video then a description of the problem + your log files?

Regarding 3: Should be fine as along as the script itself isn’t harmful. Which you can really only answer by reading the script. (And funnily enough, you’d find an answer to your first question inside this specific script…).

• Sina@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Regarding 1 there are solutions for a terminal emulator, but are you really are what you really want is the clipboard? You can directly push whatever you have into whatever file, outside of extreme circumstances.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

and why were you downvoted :')

can’t people just explain what they disagree with instead of downvoting?

edit: You could use Bing ChatGPT on firefox? I didn’t know that. it didn’t give me the desired result, but Thank you