Your user profile on reddit may not show any comments anymore but that doesn’t mean they’re all gone. If you want to purge your content, use the search engine of your preference to look for your username. I just spent four hours manually deleting a bunch of stuff that didn’t show up on my profile and that any automated solutions were unable to find during the last few weeks (not just because of blackouts). I’d be surprised if I won’t have to do this several times more.

Also, if you’re using Qwant, remember to go through all the languages.

• simo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Googling my username I discovered i was quoted in a PCgamer article. Nice of em to let me know…I guess?

• Wolf Link 🐺@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Sadly those impertinent moochers never ever ask for permission or bother to even tell the people they stole content from. I only ever realized that it happened when regular reddittors congratulated me for being featured on websites that I didn’t even know existed.

It happened so often with my submissions that I eventually even openly told all so-called “gaming journalists” to f[$%&] off in my user profile as a preemptive measure.

• Wolf Link 🐺@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Can confirm: I’ve spent a week manually deleting everything I could until I got the “this user hasn’t posted anything” message two days in a row, but shreddit found 981 (not a typo!) more comments to delete that reddit chose to not show me for whatever reason. And there are STILL a couple of comments I am able to google, but I am no longer able to delete them as I nuked the account in the meantime.

• Bazzatron@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Filed a GDPR “right to erasure” request for mine - but I don’t doubt that I’ll be going to the ICO in 28 days because Spez has failed yet again.

Thanks for the thread, gave me a couple more tools to pursue…!

• Tygr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I wiped what I could with tools then manually purged all my top ranking stuff that was older. Did some Google searches and found tons of it ranking #1 that now goes to a deleted post. lol