• Sterile_Technique@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The social bit is pretty wild. I’ve seen doctors - in the middle of surgery - lash out yelling at the techs and nurses, throw instruments, stomp their feet… straight up like a toddler, but with 20+ years of education. You’d think part of medschool would include some basic social and leadership training. I mean, in terms of the team dynamic, the doctor is always the leader, and it’s not a great look when your leader is throwing a tantrum like some 4 year old who just got told ‘no’ for the first time in their life and is an hour passed nap time.

The other extreme exists too ofc - some of the absolute best people I’ve ever met are doctors.

The takeaway is there isn’t really a correlation, or at least not near as much of one as you’d expect. Take almost any slice of the population and you’ll find a handful of genuinely outstanding human beings; a few absolute wastes of oxygen; and a horde of folks scattered in between. Take a slice exclusively of doctors, and… same. You’d expect that slice to be heavily weighted on the positive end, but the reality doesn’t pan out that way. I suspect you’d get similar results with a random sample of physicists, or highschool students, or people living in some ghetto - you get the point.

The only times I’d expect it to deviate much from that are population samples that are in a position to abuse power. CEOs, oligarchs… looks at thread title …those guys.