link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Other countries like Singapore, sure. Countries where you’ve got to go 20-25 km just to buy basic groceries, fuck no.

• fat_stig@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I lived in Singapore without a car, there is no need to own a car. I used public transport and ride sharing without ever feeling that having a car would have improved my experience. In Hong Kong it was the same, and I lived in the Northern Territories, however in Sydney we had a car even though public transport was great, because its a big fucking country. Now in Penang, Malaysia there is no usable public transport, so a car is absolutely essential.

• Moneo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

go 20-25 km just to buy basic groceries

Homie what the fuck. What percentage of people living in first world countries do you think this applies to?

• Moneo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

20km for groceries is not bad transit planning it’s called living in the middle of fucking nowhere. It’s completely irrelevant to any discussion related to urban planning and car dependency.

Smfh

• spongebue@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

I mean, yeah? I did. Because what non-rural areas require going 20-25km for groceries by car?

• spongebue@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

Name one place so poorly planned, everyone within a 20km/13 mile radius all share a grocery store because that’s the closest one - while still being considered urban. I’ll even let you get away with sub-urban.

• Maalus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

20-25 km to buy groceries means there should be public transport available to get you there. Or it means that your villages and cities are shittily built to not have neccessities within walking distance.

• nexusband@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Has nothing to do with shittily built, public transport for 5 people that’s available around the clock isn’t something that’s even remotely feasible, nor is it economical.

Apart from that, if you think like that, you’re part of the problem. Where do you think the groceries will come from in the future? From farmers that go about with public transport?

• Moneo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Nobody advocating for reduced car dependency and public transportation want to force farmers or rural people to sell their cars and take the bus. This argument is so fucking stupid and so fucking tiresome.

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

And in the countries where there is no such public transport, they still shouldn’t implement such a law until they get their public transport in order.

• Maalus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

So they won’t implement such law ever because nobody will go for public transport. Instead they’ll add “one more lane”