Hi all! I have been using Emby for about a year now, but I was wondering, after the recent botnet debacle with Emby, if I should switch my media provider.

Anyone have experience with all 3? I really only have experience with Emby.

Some things that I’m interested in:

• Automatic file management is a plus
  • Multiple users on mobile devices
  • Roku apps
  • aliens@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve used Plex for 10 years+ and Jellyfin for few months. Plex handles media recognition great and has an easy match function for the videos that aren’t automatically recognized or need to be fixed. I have a few friends/family that I share my library with and it’s easy for them to get connected remotely using their phones and roku/firestick without any issues using their plex accounts. I have the lifetime pass so my mobile devices connect for free but it there may be cost to install the mobile app.

Plex has expanded their free/ad-supported movies/tv shows but I have enough content I haven’t explored it much. My server isn’t very powerful so I can only have 2 streams going at once for my library which is mostly x265 content with a bunch of x264 content as well but that’s enough for my needs.

I use a roku as my main client and besides some flakiness with the wifi from time to time it works fine, responsive and you can use the mobile app or http://remoku.tv/ as remote controls too in addition to the physical remote.