I promised CosmicSploogeDrizzle I would add a little more info about this game tonight. Apologies in advance, I don’t do reviews so if this sucks, well it’s my first.

I got this thinking it was going to be a full on VR game - it sorta said that in the title, well it isn’t (buyer beware there).

The game looks to have three modes, Campaign Mode, Frontline-59 Campaign mode, and Conquest Mode (see the title pic).

Each of the three don’t appear to require you play the other; however, the game does seem to have a credit system (for us new to the series). I didn’t play the previous version but I believe I read that you would earn credits and prestige which in turn would be used toward earning you new planes/upgrades.

In the first Campaign Mode you start with a couple plane options along with a few load outs. You are given specific missions, etc.

Downside of this - is the mode is not in VR. It is completely in flat screen from the load out thru the campaign. You fly, change views, etc all on a flat screen. Switching views is done by using the controller. Here is a short clip, apologies in advance if it is jerky.

Campaign mode short video clip here

The Frontline 59 Campaign is quite a bit different. It fully uses the PSVR2 capabilities. You pick your plane, go through the load out and then hit the missions. From my understanding though there are only 6 of these ‘set’ missions. Am not sure what the free fly option is yet since it was locked but would assume it just lets you explore the area in VR once you progress past a certain point.
While it was sorta cool to use VR to look around while in the plane, it was a little disappointing as to how the graphics looked. The ground (trees, scenery, etc) just seemed to pop into existence at a set distance and was very ragged and pixelated. So were clouds and smoke trails. You guys can decide for yourself, here is a short clip:

Frontline 59 Video clip here

The third mode is Conquest mode which I haven’t messed with aside from checking out the missions so I am not going to comment a whole lot on this one. It is played the same as the first mode.

You are given a map of the territories and missions to try but I get the impression this is the challenge mode of the three.

• CosmicSploogeDrizzle@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Thanks for this writeup! The game definitely presents as a VR game, so hearing that it’s just a VR mode (and a bad one at that) is very disappointing.