My dog recently returned from an adventure with what looks like a spinal bone, but I would have zero clue what animal it was from. it got me thinking – could our dogs potentially be bringing home human remains, but we dismiss them as random animal bones?

Given the multitude of missing persons cases, perhaps they are unearthing more than we realize?

• RightHandOfIkaros@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

If you suspect your dog has brought you human remains, even a tiny chance, please do the responsible thing and call your local police department (not the emergency line, I mean the office number) and explain to them that it is not an emergency, your dog brought some bones home, and you suspect they might be human remains.

The police will collect and check them and it could help solve a case if its actually human remains. If they’re not human, which is most likely, they will probably either tell you right away (since they typically are very familiar with human bones, sadly) or they will call you back explaining they’re not human and to remember what they look like so their time is not wasted with every bone your dog brings home.

• BlueÆther@no.lastname.nz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I’ve found human bones twice - so not always uncommon. Fortunately neither time they were ‘fresh’.

One was at a subdivision for housing near where a field hospital and was. Police were called and it was determined to be a caucasian thema from the time of the NZ land wars. It would have been more difficult for the developers if the bone had turned out to be Maori, the find still stopped the development for a few months.

The second was a finger bone I found in a weathered mole hill in a very old church yard in the UK, that one was re-inturned at the time of finding - no police involved.