Statistics Canada confirmed last week that 351,679 babies were born in 2022 — the lowest number of live births since 345,044 births were recorded in 2005.

The disparity is all the more notable given that Canada had just 32 million people in 2005, as compared to the 40 million it counted by the end of 2022. In 2005, it was already at historic lows for Canada to have a fertility rate of 1.57 births per woman. But given the 2022 figures, that fertility rate has now sunk to 1.33.

Of Canadians in their 20s, Statistics Canada found that 38 per cent of them “did not believe they could afford to have a child in the next three years” — with about that same number (32 per cent) saying they doubted they’d be able to find “suitable housing” in which to care for a baby.

A January survey by the Angus Reid Group asked women to list the ideal size of their family against its actual size, and concluded that the average Canadian woman reached the end of their childbearing years with 0.5 fewer children than they would have wanted

“In Canada, unlike many other countries, fertility rates and desires rise with income: richer Canadians have more children,” it read.

• Very_Bad_Janet@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I’m not in Canada but childcare for our two children when they were little was $24k/year. I’d imagine its more like $30k/year now. We did not go overboard and buy the latest fad this or that, and used tons of hand me downs, but we absolutely needed childcare so that we both could work. Their afterschool, once they were old enough for public Elementary school, was around $10k/year for the two of them.

Does Canada provide free childcare? Would a couple, with each making $35k/year, qualify for free childcare? Otherwise I don’t see how $30k would cover one child from 0-12 years.

• TheZoltan@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I’m pretty sure they got their numbers wrong. I have linked to a Stats Canada article in a different reply with what I think are correct numbers that are massively higher than their claim.

• Uranium3006@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Another thing you have to worry about is the uncertainty. Do you trust that the government will still provide free childcare for 12 years? Do you think you could afford to pay for it if they couldn’t? What if the cost of something else went up. I could see myself having a kid if I was financially comfortable and stress-free but I’m barely maintaining myself so there’s no fucking way I would even dream of having a kid

• Showroom7561@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

In Ontario, we have $10/day daycare available, but multiple child benefits and a daycare subsidy, depending on your needs and situation.

Child planning should include the cost of daycare.

Some families find it better to have one partner stay at home with their child, rather than pay for daycare. They would still get childcare benefits ($200+ dollars a month), and that wouldn’t stop the partner from working part-time.

People do have to be realistic here. If they need to have both partners working to make ends meet, is a child really the best thing for them?