• f00f/eris@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Revolt is the most Discord-like FOSS chat app; it’s very easy to use and customizable. Rocket.chat and Mattermost do similar things and are more oriented toward organizations (the Slack/Teams Classic use case).

• properlypurple@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

A Matrix server with a nice web based client, hosted on premise. People are then free to choose the mobile or desktop apps they want.

• MangoPenguin@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Matrix is missing the entire voice chat, video chat, and streaming aspect of Discord.

It has meetings and calls, but those are much less convenient to use compared to persistent voice channels, and the streaming had a lot of latency when I tried it last.

• jet@hackertalks.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Matrix / element with the jitsi voice rooms, has Discovery just like discord. You can see that people are talking in a room, and you can join the room and join the conversation. You don’t have to click on to a voice room with nobody in it.

• Irina@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I do have experience using it, and it’s not worth looking at BigBlueButton.

• leetnewb@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Thanks for sharing. Anything in particular that was broken, or just a bad experience overall? I thought about spinning it up for family group video chats, but I guess I can cross that one off the list.

• Irina@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Bad experience overall - slow and laggy. We did two lessons on it for a course and then swapped to something else (I forget what)