• callcc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I would feel so bad for using so much plastic. I already feel like this when using a spool every couple of months.

• callcc@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I do use rPLA from 3dJake. Not really sure how much of it is recycled and where the material is sourced from though.

• Rutty@sh.itjust.worksOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I am not opposed, assuming there isn’t a severe quality concern. I would rather like a way to recycle my waste plastic. There isn’t really anyone local that will recycle PETG or PLA.

• TimPostma@mastodon.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

@Rutty there is a way first cut the plastic then use a blender on ice crush but be sure its normal plastic second it has to be sorted by thermodynamics & shade of color

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Yes! They do exist. It’s about $20k USD to get a system that will recycle filament.

I’ve also looked at the idea of using pelletized plastic and molds to make other products, like dominos for example.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

PET is used in plastic water bottles, PETG is considered a contaminant and typically not part of the recycled waste stream, at least in the US. Same for PLA.

Although as you noted to pelletize plastic a blender would be a good place to start. The question then becomes what do you do with the pellets of plastic?

From my understanding it takes a system like this https://www.filabot.com/products to produce filament from waste plastic. That’s not to say you can’t used the pellets in some other way.