How to choose the right Mastodon instance

https://privacy.thenexus.today/choosing-a-mastodon-instance/

An excerpt:

One of the challenges for newcomers to Mastodon is that you’re faced with a major decision you face when signing up: what server (aka “instance”) to choose? Different instances have different focuses: are geographically focused (sfba.social), identity-based (tech.lgbt), interest-based (mastodon.art), professional (infosec.exchange), a group of friends (friend.camp), or even lipogrammatic (oulipo.social, which doesn’t allow the letter ‘e’ in posts). Others are “general purpose”, without a specific focus – like mastodon.social, mastodon.ai, and hachyderm.io. The choice isn’t irrevocable – you can migrate your account to another instance and keep the list of who you’re following and who’s following you – but it’s still daunting.

Newcomers are often told that it doesn’t matter what instance you’re on, or encouraged to join mastodon.social (the “flagship” instance, which is the default for mobile apps and spreadmastodon.com). This is really horrible advice, because what instance you’re on has a big effect on your experience – and for most people, mastodon.social is not a good place to start.

[This is an an updated version of the post I originally did last November. I’ve tried to double-check that the links all still work, please let me know if I missed any!]

@fediverse@lemmy.ml @fediverse@kbin.social #TwitterMigration #Mastodon