Hey Reddit refugees! You may have noticed that kbin.social is taking forever to load because of all of the traffic it’s getting.

Luckily, there are a few other kbin instances that you can use right now! kilioa.org and fedia.io have recently popped up over the last few days, and they’re still running smoothly during the Reddit blackout. They’re also still federating with Lemmy, so you can see posts from beehaw.org and lemmy.ml (federation is currently disabled on kbin.social due to the cloudflare protection).

• dipbeneaththelasers@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Good news, you don’t need to do anything special. If you post to a magazine that a user on those instances subscribes to, they’ll see your content; and same in reverse where you’ll see the content you’re subscribed to regardless of the instance that content is posted from. If you comment on a post that they posted, they’ll see that too.

• MeowdyPardner@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Basically you need to go to that thread using the kbin.social UI, that means avoiding following links directly to external instances.

Make sure you follow that magazine by using the search on kbin.social to search for “apexlegends@kilioa.org”, you can click on the name in the search result to go to the community without going out to kilioa.org where it would want you to log in with a kilioa account. You will also see the posts from there showing up on your feed here on kbin.social, where you will be able to directly interact from kbin.social using your kbin.social account.

Here’s the link to apexlegends@kilioa.org page on kbin.social, which lets you use your kbin.social to vote and comment: https://kbin.social/m/apexlegends@kilioa.org - you should have landed there when you click on the community name when you see content show up on kbin.social

Hope this helps and isn’t too complicated of an explanation - in short if you can navigate to posts and communities by clicking on the name of the posts or communities, it should show you the remote content but within kbin.social. If you follow links to posts or communities that other people post in comments, they might be accidentally linking you out to the external instance, so that’s what you should watch out for to avoid confusion.

• !deleted115773@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

How is this going to work when links show up in Google? Let’s say I’m going to search for some “how to” guide on Google and the first result points to a post on Kilioa or any other fediverse instance, I will be redirected there where I didn’t sign up. Do I still need to sign up to different instances or copy the url to my instance?
            I love the idea, but is this not practical at all, or am I missing something?

• valaramech@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

The “correct” answer currently would be to copy the link to the instance you have an account with if you want to interact with it.

I would expect that, as federated services get more traction and are inhabited by a larger proportion of non-hobbyists, these clunky areas will get more work. The majority of people using these services now are hobbyists and they’re willing to accept the jank for something that they want. Most “normal” people wouldn’t, but there haven’t been very many “normal” people in federated spaces yet - in no small part because of the jank being a barrier to entry.

• CaptainJanegay@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Not at all! We just need a combination of A) more new instances popping up, B) some people moving to other instances because they like them better or they run faster, and C) kbin.social admins scaling up this instance. It’s just an adjustment process.

The good thing about fediverse services is that as long as there are people willing to throw up a server, you can just keep scaling - unlike on a centralised service where if the owner doesn’t scale, that’s tough.