Fairly substantial price increase. I will admit a major draw of this small truck was the affordability. I think some trims are up as much as $2k. Wonder what kind of effect this will have on demand and the order banks.

• tooting_lemmy@lemm.ee
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 年前

I think they have a huge backorder on these. They’re probably raising price because they can’t make enough to meet demand.

• dan1101@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 年前

Yeah I’ve read stores where some people have waited almost 2 years and are still waiting.

• docmox@lemmy.world
      cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 年前

That is my understanding as well.

I think this will kill some demand though which might result in trucks sitting on lots this time next year. If RAM and Toyota come out with their own compact trucks Ford may be forced to introduce some incentives with that kind of MSRP.

• tooting_lemmy@lemm.ee
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 年前

The success of the Maverick means everyone is now trying to make a compact truck to compete with it. Competition is usually good for the consumer.

• docmox@lemmy.world
          cake
          OP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 年前

I hope so. I think the demand for the Maverick and the hybrid in particular showed there is a strong market for compact trucks.

Looking forward to seeing what other OEMs put forward.

• Skiptrace@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 年前

Toyota already has a compact hybrid about to come out. 2024 Tacoma in early 2024 will get a Hybrid motor.

• Skiptrace@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 年前

I don’t think they are. But also, if you want a “compact truck” why not get a Minivan? You get the convenience of being able to choose between hauling 7 people, or a crap load of stuff all in a nice comfortable cab, and you get a free COVERED bed (fold all seats down, you can fit a ton of sheets of plywood easy)

• docmox@lemmy.world
              cake
              OP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 年前

The base price for a minivan (Toyota Sienna) is like $36k, almost $10k more expensive than the latest Maverick pricing. Siennas also aren’t really any easier to find either, they’re very in demand by young families right now.

Agreed with a lot of your prospective on functionality and I’m hopeful minivans are making a comeback as they’re much more practical than the half ton or full size pickups people are buying.

• docmox@lemmy.world
                  cake
                  OP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 年前

You’re not unless you order it. Although I suspect you might see better availability starting this model year.

I think the point here is that the Maverick is quite a bit cheaper than a minivan. I think a more fair comparison, speaking of price only, is a half ton like a Tacoma or Ranger.

But I wholeheartedly agree with your point that many people would be better off with a minivan than a truck. A minivan provides the functions needed for most people much better than trucks do, and come with better MPG and a comfier cabin.

• coyg@lemmy.world
              cake
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 年前

I don’t know of any minivans that can get 40MPG. A bed is useful for loose material, things like gravel, dirt, or mulch. Not to mention, I am not sure if minivans can fit 4x8 sheets.

• rikonium
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 年前

Minivans definitely could fit 4x8 sheetgoods with the seats out but the complicating factor is the loss of removable seats. The Sedona (and I assume Carnival) will only let you collapse the 2nd row against the front seats (don’t know if that’s enough to get the 8’ in) and the new Sienna’s 2nd row doesn’t fold or come out at all without disassembly.

• Skiptrace@lemmy.one
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 年前

The Toyota Sienna gets 36MPG and comes in an AWD option. And all of them are Hybrids. I do see where your coming from on the bed being good for loose materials.

• coyg@lemmy.world
            cake
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 年前

Toyota Stout is the rumor. Plus RAM has a compact pickup just launched in brazil that is rumored to be coming to the US.

• coyg@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 年前

I’m really digging that terrain color. But the price increase is making this vehicle not worth it in the grand scheme of things.

The 2022 model started under $20K with a hybrid power train. That same model is now $26.4K.

The lariat hybrid was $27K and is now $35.7K! The truck still has a $20K value interior…hard plastics. Why would someone buy a Maverick now?

• Lenggo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 年前

This is a huge bummer. I’ve really wanted the base hybrid with the original pricing but the lead time to build and dealer markup was big concern. Now its a way harder sell. Glad I gave up and picked up an 06 Ranger for 5k.

• coyg@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 年前

It does. It was almost unbelievable a base hybrid was $20,000 though. I’m hoping any Maverick competitors can be a little more competitive price wise.

• docmox@lemmy.world
      cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 年前

The Lariat does have the Lux package now included. But you’re completely right. The appeal of this truck was its affordability. I think the interior was appropriate for the $20k price point but not sure it’s really meeting the $35k+ price point.

I suspect that once the initial flow of orders passes that the demand for the Maverick at this price point will crash. They’ll have to introduce rebates that bring the price back inline with expectations.

• Jim@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 年前

Fairly substantial price increase. I will admit a major draw of this small truck was the affordability. I think some trims are up as much as $2k. Wonder what kind of effect this will have on demand and the order banks.

I mean, these trucks were on back order for a long time, which suggests that demand was way higher than supply. Yes, affordability was a major draw, but I’m not at all surprised at the price hikes here.

I’m hoping other manufacturers see this and come out with their own compact trucks. There are rumors Toyota is working on one, for instance.