I get that it’s open source provided you use codium not code but I still find that interesting

• darcy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

you get trapped in Vim because you dont know how to exit.

i get trapped because ive sunk so much time configuring

• MigratingtoLemmy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Agreed to the latter point. The only reason why I might not use vim is to copy-paste some code in and out of the file, in which case I prefer plain text editors.

With that said, I’m a purist who uses vim without any external plug-ins (other than the files I wrote myself in ftplugin). Use vim on a remote machine whilst SSHed into it from a windows machine and wanting to copy-paste stuff in and out is a major pain which is why I downloaded Vscode in the first place. This piece of cancer is not touching my linux machine.

• darcy@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

based asl for using vim without plugins. although what is difficult about copy/pasting? i think u can get vim to use the system clipboard with a command

• MigratingtoLemmy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Indeed, however I’m using Windows as the host, whilst SSHed into my development machine.

Yes, integration with the system clipboard does make things somewhat easy. I would still use a simple GUI text editor if I was using my mouse though (like copying from a website using a mouse).