I get that it’s open source provided you use codium not code but I still find that interesting

• StarkillerX42@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I did for a few years. Eventually I had to switch to VSCode because any given Jetbrains product is only good at a single language, and constantly switching Jetbrains products is a nightmare. Now that I’ve been using VSCode for a while, there are some extension that are so critical to my workflow Jetbrains is virtually useless to me without them.

• Jelloeater@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Yeah, I mean, if it works better for you, then good on you 😎 I mostly just stick to Python and Terraform. I used their GoLand IDE for a while, it was nice. What extensions are ya using? I’ve seen a lot of embedded folks really like VSCode.

• StarkillerX42@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Most extensions have good equivalents. Other languages like Julia are VSCode only. Fortran was the language that really made me jump ship, PyCharm’s Fortran extension is barely syntax highlighting. Remote - SSH is the killer though, it is a beautifully made and essential tool for working with remote systems.

Most importantly, PyCharm doesn’t really have any killer features or extensions that makes it essential.

• Jelloeater@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Yeah, their extensions are okay, but it’s mostly what you get in the box. The remote SSH is sooo nice, I use it everyday for PowerShell from my Mac to Windows boxes. Yeah, I definitely get that for something like Fortran. I used to do LUA a ton back in the day, and it was the only good IDE for it.

• ThatHermanoGuy@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

You’re the second person to say this and it’s just wrong. With the Ultimate Edition, you can install the plugins for whichever languages you want and stick to a single editor without switching.

• Pieisawesome@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

The jetbrains default hotkeys is in direct conflict to the “typical defaults” for hotkeys you see in the world

• seitanic@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I had a job that required me to use JetBrains. I would’ve preferred to use VSCode.