• doktorseven@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

You know, if I did get relevant ads from all of these places that are supposedly tracking everything that I do and monitoring my likes, I wouldn’t mind ads so much. But the fact that even though Google, for example, knows everything that I do and everywhere that I go and everything that I like, they still serve me irrelevant ads that I would never care about in a billion years. All of this touted targeted ads bullshit technology and it doesn’t even work. So I don’t care, harvest everything that I like and everything that I do. Because it doesn’t work anyway.

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Problem are not ads being relevant. Real problem is much more sinister. It’s about being able to influence your behavior thanks to knowing your habits. Shill new running shoes from a different perspective so you find it more palatable or easier to influence you to buy something you don’t want. Slowly these patterns emerge and can be exploited. In some cases they can start to reveal secrets you don’t want revealed, like that case where Target sent pregnancy ads and coupons to teenagers and causing bunch of issues with their parents. It gets worse if they start selling your data to others. Imagine a politician making targeted ads towards select group of people based on their preferences telling them what they want to hear in order to get elected. Data can easily be abused in such a way.

You say it doesn’t work on you, which I doubt but even if that is so, on majority of people it will work. Privacy must be taken absolutely and seriously even though you have nothing to hide. Just like freedom of speech must remain even though you have nothing to publicly say.

• 0ryX@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Very well said I agree this needs to be taken more seriously. I recently bought a laptop that when booting into the BIOS displayed a message box saying that the device had persistent technology installed on it. With a little google search I found many computer companies come preinstalled with this rootkit and that it was not installed on the hard drive but into the motherboard instead and removing it was next to impossible. Almost every major computer company now are coming pre-installed with this. (mine was a 2020 Levono Thinkpad T490)

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

It’s boiling the frog approach. Slowly and hard to notice these changes are added one by one.

• YⓄ乙 @aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Bro being a regular sucks and it even sucks more when you don’t know what you’re taking about. They will sell you Nike while making you think that you’re life sucks because you’re fat.

• YⓄ乙 @aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Ah well goodluck google. I haven’t seen a single ad from past 6-7 years. Next DNS on my router, Linux mint with Firefox (ublock origin) and same for android.

• El Barto@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Nice! I do pretty much the same except for the dns part. I’ll look into it.

Having said that, I’ve always said that we should be able to purchase dumb TVs, and when people say “just don’t connect it to the net,” they’re missing the point, because they’re still enabling these companies (this is not directed at you specifically. It’s just an argument I keep hearing.)