• MyFeetOwnMySoul@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Believing in racial superiority is as absurd as a flat earth, but in-order to be willing to punch someone, you have to take their ideas seriously enough to find them threatening, there-by legitimizing them [for the audience the Nazi is targeting].

Some rando standing on a street espousing the deranged ramblings of a long-dead dictator is not a legitimate threat in my eyes.

If the rando is somehow having their verbal excrement backed by the state, then we can talk about violence, but that is not currently the case where I live, and in most of the world.

I don’t want to debate a Nazi about whether the emperor’s clothes are ugly or not. I’m going to tell everyone the emperor has no clothes.

• Sharkwellington@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Some rando standing on a street espousing the deranged ramblings of a long-dead dictator is not a legitimate threat in my eyes.

That’s exactly the first scene of the Twilight Zone episode He’s Alive. Not that it proves anything as it’s just a fictional story but it’s the first thing I thought of.

An article that also comes to mind is Bartender explains why he swiftly kicks out Nazis even if they’re ‘not bothering anyone’. Basically, if you allow the “rando” Nazi’s a safe place to congregate they’ll tell all their friends who tell their friends and eventually your bar, town square, etc are the local Nazi hangout and the extremists start showing up. Now you have too many Nazis to safely and easily remove.

Now, you absolutely don’t need to use violence as your language of choice, what’s most important is that you make it loud and clear that trying to put down roots is going to be more trouble than it’s worth.

• MyFeetOwnMySoul@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Oh for sure. I’m not at all for leaving Nazis alone. Like I said, they should be mocked merciless. They should know just exactly how deranged they sound, and they should feel bad for opening their dumb mouths. However, no matter how dumb their mouth may be, you don’t get to punch them in it.