• dx1@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

That wasn’t my point either way - but, as a group, as a government, they plainly are.

• SCB@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

They literally are not. What you’re missing is that shooting someone in combat scenarios is not “killing members of the group/causing serious bodily/mental harm to members of the group” as genocide is defined. Murdering them wholesale is. Intentionally starving them, as with the Holodomor, is.

None of the rest is even arguably happening at all. There is no way to construe their relationship as genocidal.

The reason why is right there in the opening: with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group

Are Israel’s policies discriminatory? Yes. Oppressive? Hell yes. Poorly conceived, authoritarian bullshit? I’m right there with you. Genocide? No.

Things can be wrong and need changing without being literally the worst thing.

• Sybil@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Intentionally starving them

None of the rest is even arguably happening

they literally said they’re cutting off food.

• SCB@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

No, they’re blockading food imports. By forming an absolute blockade, they prevent/significantly reduce weapons and personnel trafficking.

If civilians start starving en masse, you will absolutely see international calls of genocide.i will be among the first to the podium on that one.

• Sybil@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

What you’re missing is that shooting someone in combat scenarios

this same reasoning would mean the nazis were justified in violently suppressing ghetto uprisings.