link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Voters in Germany’s largest state, Bavaria, choose a new parliament on Sunday, after a very nasty election campaign in which populist upstarts have rattled the status quo.

Days before the vote, Tino Chrupalla, the co-leader of the Alternative für Deutschland (AfD), was taken to intensive care after feeling unwell during an election rally in Bavaria.

Some local authorities are struggling with high migration numbers, and attempts by Mr Scholz’s government to introduce ambitious climate reform have been undermined by squabbles within his uncomfortable three-way coalition.

In rallies, Hubert Aiwanger, leader of the right-wing populist Freie Wähler (Free Voters), describes the new law as anti-democratic and rails against the “elite”, despite himself being Bavarian deputy-premier and economy minister.

Mr Aiwanger’s blunt style - to fans straight-talking, to critics dangerous demagogy - works well in beer tents and he makes even Bavaria’s boisterous premier Markus Söder look stuffy.

But in Bavaria the AfD and Free Voters together could get over 30% of the vote on Sunday, showing that hard-right populism is not simply an “east German problem”, as commentators sometimes claim.

The original article contains 925 words, the summary contains 179 words. Saved 81%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• bleistift2@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Voters in Germany’s largest state, Bavaria,

Bavaria is the largest state by area. It’s the second-largest by population, with some 16% of people living there.