Some users wonder if the dev will be charged for having it still up, others argue Reddit can’t charge him without having signed a contract. Everyone is confused as to why the API change hasn’t made it inoperable.

Why is Boost still working?

• MrJameGumb@kbin.social
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Reddit will be fine in the short term sure, but anyone who actually gave enough of a shit to put in the effort needed for it to work well have left or stated that they will no longer do anything more than the bare minimum. Reddit will still be around for a while, but it will never be the same place it was, and eventually will just become irrelevant as it’s overrun with trolls and scammers. I give it 3 - 5 more years before it disappears without fanfare and no one will care.

• HipPriest@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Exactly my thoughts - it’s going to be a slow decline. Probably the first thing that will happen is that mods will drift away and the quality of subs will decline. Any replacement mods may be good but are also just as likely to drift away after a month or two.

The site will slowly attract more and more spammers and scammers when they wake up to this fact… Whether it actually disappears I don’t know but it will become irrelevant by becoming more bland and corporate in an attempt to chase money. It’ll end up being more like Tumblr or something I reckon, something that exists but only some people actually use.