For those of you who weren’t diagnosed until adulthood (I’m in my late 40s), what was the diagnosis process like? Are you just given a written test, or does someone evaluate you more thoroughly? Do they try to understand your symptoms, or is it more of a checklist? If anyone has personal stories they’d be willing to share, I’d love to hear them. I’m also just curious about what to expect during the appointment. Who do I make it with? A psychiatrist?

I also wonder if there are other related conditions or learning disabilities that I might have, such as dyslexia. Do I need to be proactive in asking for multiple diagnoses? Or will they be able to evaluate me for anything/everything?

• tubabandit@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Diagnosed at 43-44. Went to psychologist, talked about why I wanted an assessment, did a questionnaire. Had a second appointment, asked questions based on first questionnaire, did another one while also assessing for other co-morbidities. Wound up doing at least two more questionnaires, plus my spouse and wife did one each. Received ~10 page report that several aspects of the ADHD “spectrum”, as well as other common co-diagnoses such as anxiety, depression, autism. We discussed to ensure I was ok with it and understood it, she suggested other resources and tools, and I took that to my PCP to start trialling medications.