• unfreeradical@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

If you chose to use your house as collateral in order for the opportunity to enrich yourself, then no one owes you any gratitude. You are not a hero. You acted in your own interests, not for helping others.

If workers provided labor, and you only paid them wages, then you profited from their labor, and prevented them from advancing by realizing the full value of their labor.

The only reason your house was at risk was because the bank hoards capital, using lending as a device to augment its own wealth.

If capital were shared by everyone, then all the problems you describe would not occur. No one would lose houses or cars, no one would be a tens of millions of times richer than anyone else, and everyone would be paid fully for their labor, without distinction of owner versus worker.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

You are not understanding.

The risk is artificial.

Those who have the most wealth, the most capital, are not facing risk, compared to everyone else. Someone who has $10 billion in assets and loses $2 billions has not lost in the same way as a poor person who loses a car. The billionaire is completely insulated from the precarity faced by most of the population, because the billionaire privately controls the vast wealth of society. The losses suffered by the billionaire owe to the instability of the business and the business cycle, not to the trials of life.

Those who are most wealthy face the least risk, and in fact impose the genuine risk on everyone else.

If control over capital were shared, then no one would be precarious, nor need to use a home as collateral for a loan.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

You are being incredibly dishonest.

You mentioned Elon Musk.

I simply observed that most of the capital is owned by a tiny cohort of society. Small businesses, especially businesses worth approximately the same as a house, comprise a relatively small valuation of capital (which is not the same as the number of businesses, or the number of jobs).

There is no reason why economic activity needs to be tied to someone risking becoming homeless. Such a relationship is a consequence of the system, the way that wealth is hoarded by the few and made available to the rest only under conditions that serve the private interest of the wealthy. A different system would not need to carry the same feature.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  9 months ago

How did you prove that ownership of capital in terms of its valuation is not extremely heavily concentrated?

You only gave the statistics relating to the count of small business and jobs in them.

One business can be worth more than a thousand others.

I suggest you review statistics on wealth distribution in various countries. Learn how much wealth as a share of the total is owned by various cohorts, and investigate questions such as how many individuals own half the wealth.

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    9 months ago

Wealth distribution is something people who don’t understand wealth bring up. Elon has a lot of wealth. That doesn’t stop me from having lots of wealth.

People need to stop worrying about the billionaires and focus more on their own journey. I don’t use reddit, facebook, Twitter or any of that crap. If everyone stopped using them, a lot of the billionaires would vanish since it’s funny money.

Yes, the wealthy have more wealthy but that doesn’t stop you from having wealth. This is about as far as I get into any social media platform as I don’t want to give people like Zucker money.