• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’ll check out A.I. again. It was kinda boring when I first watched it, but I was pretty young when it came out and it wasn’t my style of movie. I think it would be now.

When I was younger I watched The Prestige and that was extremely boring to me, but on a rewatch I couldn’t keep my eyes off it. That one’s a 9, teetering towards a 10 now.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Oh shit, my most recent high rating: The Skin I Live In, 9/10. Holy fucking dick, very confusing and mortifying film. Presented perfectly and conceptually unmatched. Not for everyone… pretty much every content warning possible.

Loved it.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            cake
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            9 months ago

Aha! Let me know what you think. I found it… fuck. Just fuck.

Also plugging movie-web.app, a web site I use if I don’t care to have the highest quality ever. Some of the things are actually quite good quality. Many movies with subtitles don’t have subs, from what I’ve seen. But if I just wanna do a rewatch of The Critic while I’m WFH, it’s a great site to just pop it on.

(I was originally going to say Freddie Got Fingered but that masterpiece deserves 1080p with low compression. I love you, Tom Green.)

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
                cake
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

I’m happy you liked it! Each reveal, my partner and I would just slowly turn our heads and stare at each other for a sec… and when the big reveal happened we both were like “fuuuuuuuck”

If you like that kind of story telling (confusing beginning but makes total sense at the end) and haven’t already seen it, I can also recommend “The Death of Dick Long”. It’s directed by one of the Daniels (of Everything Everywhere All At Once and Swiss Army Man fame. (And the video for Turn Down for What))

If you choose to check out The Death of Dick Long, that’s deeeeefinitley a movie to go in blind to, and it’ll make total sense why hahaha

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Logged in, remembering that I now have a password manager lawl

I gave both Sunshine and Event Horizon a 7, actually.

I’ve added What Dreams May Come to my watchlist—never saw that one!

The Prestige is about MAGIC. I find it to be a masterpiece.

Looking at my account, some highs:

Being John Malcovich: 9

The Lighthouse: 10

One Cut of the Dead: 9 (if anyone is reading this and hasn’t seen it, do NOT look anything up beforehand, and watch past the credits. GO IN BLIND. That is VERY important.)

Full Metal Jacket: 10

Dancer in the Dark: 9 (it even made me fucking cry, which nothing ever does except the ending to The Best Show Ever Made, Six Feet Under)

The Pianist: 10

Funny Games (American): 9 (highest rating for a horror movie from me, I think)

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            cake
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Story: when I worked retail looooong ago, we had a big meeting in the middle of the store where we all stood in a circle and they asked us all what our name and favorite movies are.

One girl was like “hi I’m Samantha Newhire and my favorite movie is What Dreams May Come.”

The manager exclaimed, “WET DREAMS MAY COME?!”

Samantha reiterated: “WHAT dreams.”

We all started cracking up.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
                cake
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                9 months ago

I was astounded, as one of my first jobs, like… isn’t that an HR bad thing?

But everyone was laughing (probably because we were all teenagers) and the manager was probably very embarrassed.

I should add the manager was a lady and wasn’t up with recent movies. I’m pretty sure she was really embarrassed after saying that, but I dunno.